Welcome to the June 2021 Prayer Vigil!
“In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs, each with six wings; With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.”
At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.” “– Isaiah 6:1 to 5.
“But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.” – Matthew 12: 36, 37
The scene in the throne room of Heaven is different now because Jesus is seated on the right hand of God (Matt. 26: 64; Mark 16: 19; Heb. 12: 2).
“God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses to the fact. Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.” – Acts 2: 32, 33.
“…but because Jesus lives forever, He has a permanent priesthood. Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.” – Hebrews 7:24, 25.
What a great privilege it is that we can come before the King, the Almighty God in the throne room of Heaven through prayer. We sense not only his glory and majesty while in his presence, but also his love, mercy, forgiveness, care, comfort, grace, and all the attributes that he revealed to us through our Lord Jesus. We worship him because we love him, and because he loved us first even when we were enemies, unlovable (1 John 4:19; Rom. 5: 8, 10). We do not have to sacrifice cattle, sheep or doves for our sins, but we can go into the throne room as we are with a heart of worship made possible by Jesus Christ our Lord.
“But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” – 1 John 1:7- 9.
- Ask God to reveal to you, your unclean lips and whatever that may dwell in your heart that displeases him.
- Confess your sins to the Lord and ask for cleansing.
- Tell him whether there is anything that keeps you from loving him wholeheartedly and ask that he help you to deal with it.
- Tell him how much you love him and thank him for all his blessings and what he has been doing in your life.
Reflecting on the prayer in John 17 that Jesus prayed for all believers – “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me so that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you loved me.” – John 17: 20 to 23.
- That believers at IBC and throughout the world will be united in the Lord’s love and Spirit. Let that oneness in spirit and love tell the world that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.
- For oneness as we are united in our prayers.
- That we are united in our desire to bring glory to God by:
o Worshipping him and submitting to his Spirit
o Loving other believers
o Becoming like Christ
o Serving others with our gifts
o Telling others about him
- That we will continue to live out the purposes that God has created us for, as described in Pastor Rick Warren’s book “The Purpose Driven Life”.
“Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” – Hebrews 4:16
Pray>>> - Thank the Lord that we are now able to gather for Sunday worship although with restrictions due to the pandemic; and give thanks also for the technology that allows us to participate in Sunday worship and “meet” for Bible studies/fellowship online; and that the Word of God is broadcast beyond boundaries to those who are being called.
- Thank the Lord for Pastor Will, the deacons, our worship teams, ministry leaders and church staff for their dedication and faithfulness.
- Pray for the working of the power of the Spirit through everyone at IBC so that as one body we will make God known and give him glory.
- Praise our Father in Heaven, our Good Shepherd “who is able” to provide abundantly for all our needs beyond what we expect (Eph. 3: 20).
- Thank the Lord for all those who have committed themselves week after week to minister to our children and young people by teaching them the love of Jesus and the Word of God. Ask the Lord to give the ministry team members strength, wisdom, togetherness, joy and satisfaction that they will not grow weary.
- Ask for the Lord’s protection for our children, physically and spiritually, whether here in Hong Kong or abroad.
- Pray for Hannah and Lio as Hannah moves from the Youth-Young Adult ministry at IBC to being a full-time mom and something else that the Lord may call her to do.
- Pray for Mona’s mother, brother and family members in India. Thank the Lord that they are recovering from COVID-19.
- For protection for Pastor Ashok and the brothers and sisters in his church in Kolkata, India.
- For James and Latika, and Don Lazarus (Latika’s nephew) and his family in India.
- For protection for Kaushic and Dang, their children and fellow workers in the Philippines.
- For the gospel of Jesus Christ to spread and touch many lives as nations struggle with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- For Grace’s father, Pastor Tham, who is receiving treatment for cancer in Malaysia; For Grace, and her mother who is in Australia and unable to visit.
- For God to sustain with His blessings and healing for Lena Lam, Beatrice, Y.M. Chen, James Paul, Herald Lau, Henry Wong’s mother and Tony Mo’s wife Fanny.
- For the guests, hosts and helpers of the Alpha Course; May each session draw people closer to a relationship with Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Read Psalm 91 – “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’ Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday…. If you say, ‘The Lord is my refuge,’ and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways…. ‘Because he loves me,’ says the Lord, ‘I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him….” – with this in mind we depart from the throne room of heaven, thanking the Lord for answering our prayers. Amen!
[This prayer guide was prepared by Charles Ip]