Welcome to the October 2022 Prayer Vigil!
As we come together in spirit to pray about the things concerning our church and for those in need of our prayers, let us come not just with a sense of duty but with our hearts filled with the desire to draw close to God our Father in an intimate conversation, and a desire for “your kingdom come and, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven” and, a desire out of love for the Father and love for those we are praying for.
Let us praise God for who he is and thank him that we can draw near to him because of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ (Heb. 4: 14 – 16). Ask that the Holy Spirit help us in our prayers because of our weakness (Rom. 8: 26, 27) and ask that the Spirit convict us of our sins that we may cleanse our hearts through confession and repentance (1 John 1: 9). Let us approach God with humble hearts to pray.
Let us pray –
Holy Father, you are holy and good and there is no other like you in the whole universe that you created. There is no other worthy of our praise because you are the only true God, the one and only, the beginning and the end. You are Lord almighty, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness (Exodus 34: 6) and from whom all good things come (James 1: 17; Matt. 7: 9 – 11). I am blessed because I can now draw near to your throne of grace (Heb. 4: 16) to present my supplications in the name of Jesus Christ your son, my Lord and Saviour. May your Holy Spirit help me in my prayers as I am weak and he is the one who helps me to pray in accordance to your will. May your Spirit convict me of my sins so that my heart may be cleansed through my confession and repentance of any selfish desires (James 4:3), unforgiveness (Mark 11: 25), idolatry (Ezekiel 14: 3), lack of faith or unbelieve (Jam. 1: 5 – 8), bad relationships (1 Peter 3: 7), pride and other sinful desires of the flesh (Is. 59: 2), so that my prayers are according to your will and not hindered. Help my heart to be patient and quiet when you speak so that I may be attentive to your voice. I ask all this in Jesus’ name.
Let us pray for pastor search –
- Thank the Lord that he is orchestrating all this and that it is not about our will but his; thank him that he has already chosen someone for this time in the history of IBC to shepherd our church.
- Ask that we hear his voice and follow his guidance and direction that his will be accomplished through the pastor search team and the members of the church body.
- Pray for wisdom, discernment and patience for the pastor search team members – May, Yuko, Iris, Kenneth and Charles, through the working of the Holy Spirit.
- Pray for the Lord to open the eyes of church members to come to an understanding of the spiritual nature and character of the church and, in the time appointed by the Lord, to see the God-fearing shepherd that God has already chosen and prepared.
- Pray that we will all wait patiently on the Lord and not be misled by worldly wisdom.
Continue in prayer to our Father in Heaven –
- Heavenly Father we ask that your presence be with the deacons, and our church family as we continue in worship and the work of Christ during Pastor Will’s absence; may your love and your Spirit bind us together as one body with each part working for the good of the whole body to bring glory to you; may the power of your Spirit work in each of the deacons and the brothers who will bring your word of truth to us each Sunday that we will grow together “to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ” (Eph. 4:15).
- We thank you Father that you have protected our church community during the COVID pandemic and healed those who have been afflicted; we lift up Stephanie’s mother who was infected with COVID while undergoing chemotherapy which had to be suspended; we ask for your special care that her health may be completely restored.
- We pray for protection and guidance for Pastor Will and Val and their sons, Joshua and Zac, that they may see and follow your plans for them in the U.S.
- We continue to lift Lena Lam up to you in prayer for restoration of her health after the target therapy she received for her brain tumour; we ask also for healing for her husband Thomas Lam’s eyes and your care for the rest of the Lam family.
- We continue to pray for Michelle Niem and ask for effective treatment for her sarcoma and that she look to you for her healing and hope; may your presence give peace and comfort to her and her family; We are thankful that Iris Leung’s two sisters are stable after treatment for cancer; we continue to pray for their healing and protection from COVID; We are thankful that Candy Ip’s husband Ming has recovered well after heart bypass surgery and we pray for complete restoration of his health; We are thankful for your healing for Abel (Mona’s brother-in-law) in Canada and we ask that you continue to provide for him and his family; We continue to lift up Iris’s friend Diana and ask that your presence, mercy and healing be upon her as she receives further cancer treatment; We pray that your healing hand be upon Alice, sibling of Jackson’s sister-in-law, who underwent cancer surgery; We also ask for your mercy and healing for Quina’s friend Paula in California who is also suffering from cancer, please grant peace to her husband and young children.
- We also lift up Beatrice, Y.M. Chen, Herald Lau and also Cliff Tan’s father in the U.S.; may your presence give them peace, strength, comfort and healing; We ask that you refresh and sustain those who provide care for them.
- We remember families and individuals who are struggling with relationship problems and other challenges; we pray that you will protect them from darkness, help them out of their quandary and guide them with your light so that they will find resolution for their problems and healing for their hurts.
- We pray for non-believing friends, spouses, children, parents and other family members (name those who come to mind); we pray that your Holy Spirit will work in their lives so that they will eventually accept Jesus as their Lord and Saviour; We lift up in particular Angela’s sister and brother-in-law Menchie and Mike; Kenneth Lee’s mother and siblings; Michelle’s husband and daughter; Frank’s brother Jan and family members with thanksgiving that Jan desires to attend church; Pansy’s husband; Stephanie’s parents; Frederick’s mother; Mona’s colleague and neighbour Lily; Cliff Tan’s father in the U.S.; Ivy’s son and family.
- We pray that all who come to IBC and our small community groups will experience God’s presence, holiness, love, peace, cleansing and healing; We lift up the Ladies’ Fellowship as they have just begun a new season of Bible study and ministry; We continue to pray for Diana Ng’s mandarin home Bible study group, for growth in faith and witness, that their family members may also come to know Jesus.
- We lift up our October 4 church retreat to you for protection and the working of your Spirit in those who will attend that it may be a fruitful and wonderful time.
- We pray for our Young Adults to grow in their faith and knowledge of the word of God; we ask for your protection and guidance as they embark on their work life in the community.
- We continue in prayer for Hope, Josh, Aaron, Aidan, Jerry, Justin, Roshan and Jimmy in their transition to university or gap year or travel; guidance for Aidan in his gap year and protection for Aaron as he travels to Australia October 2.
- May your presence, peace and guidance be with those who have relocated or who will be relocating this year – Cliff Tan getting used to the U.S. again; Jack and Miranda and children in the U.S.; Edward and Maldes in Canada; Paul and Irene with Aiden in their move to the U.K.; Angela for her work move to Singapore.
- We lift up Kaushic and Dang Biswas as they continue with their busy mission work in the Philippines; we ask for your protection for them, their children and the other missionaries working with them.
- We lift up to you the prisoners in Pik Uk Prison, the street sleepers in Shamshuipo, the elderly in Wah Fu Estate and Mui Wo, the inmates at the Ling Oi Drug Rehab Centre and those in the Care and Share Homely Shelter; we ask that your light shine in those places to bring about transformed lives in Jesus Christ.
- We remember the poor, needy, elderly and those who are suffering in the COVID pandemic, we pray that you provide opportunities for IBC and others to help them so they can find hope in Jesus.
In Jesus’ wonderful name we pray. Amen!
[This prayer guide was prepared by Charles Ip]